Sunday 13 August 2017

Sunday WW1 Remembered...






I enjoy reading books set during WW1 which cover as wide a range as possible. 

In August I will share more of my favourites



1149612



Told in the voice of a young soldier, the story follows 24 hours in his life on the frontline during World War I, and captures his memories as he looks back over his life. Full of detail and engrossing atmosphere, the book leads to a dramatic and moving conclusion.


I first read Private Peaceful in 2009 and was blown away by the effect of this story, aimed at young adults, which is powerful, thought provoking and so sad it breaks your heart into a million pieces.



11603232



In the deadly chaos of the First World War, one horse witnesses the reality of battle from both sides of the trenches. Bombarded by artillery, with bullets knocking riders from his back, Joey tells a powerful story of the truest friendships surviving in terrible times.


During WW1 the life of an infantry horse was fraught with danger, Michael Morpurgo conveys this story in beautiful writing, which conjures the horror, depredation, and sheer waste of life in such a strong and meaningful way.


Both stories, whilst aimed at young adults, easily cross the great divide as they slip into adult reads quite seamlessly.


I highly recommend both books.

~***~


4 comments:

  1. Me too, Josie..... I read recently in an interview with the author that War Horse didn't sell well, and was not very popular until the stage show when it suddenly took off and has been a best seller ever since. Private Peaceful should be on every school's curiculum for WW1 studies - like you I recommend it wholeheartedly for adults too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I remember we had great discussions about both these books in the early days of Readitswapit ..

      Delete
  2. I definitely would like to read private peaceful, and I saw war horse on the stage at the Lowry in Manchester, it was magnificent and so heartbreaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try and read Private Peaceful, it's an amazing story. I would think that seeing Warhorse is a wonderful experience. The Lowry is such an interesting place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.