Sunday 21 May 2017

Sunday WW1 Remembered..




When I first started this WW1 commemoration back in 2014 I mainly featured poetry.


This month I will share my favourite poems


Sara Teasdale

1884 - 1933


There Will Come Soft Rains

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.





Sara Teasdale was an American lyrical poet. She was born Sara Trevor Teasdale in St. Louis, Missouri, and after her marriage in 1914 she went by the name Sara Teasdale Filsinger.






2 comments:

  1. I think I saw that the first time you posted. It makes me think, for the truth is, without mankind, the earth would continue on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Susan.
      It's a timeless piece of poetry, just as valid today as it was in 1918. She also wrote 'Spring in Wartime' which is another of my absolute favourites.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.