Sunday 30 December 2012

Review -The Dickens Dictionary by John Sutherland

The Dickens Dictionary: An A-Z of England's Greatest Novelist
Icon Books Ltd (2 Feb 2012)


Since 2012 has been the bicentenary of the birth of Charles Dickens, I hoped that reading this book would prove to be a good aide mémoire, and I think that it certainly lived up to my expectations.On the whole,  I enjoy reading Dickens but don't always know where his references come from, so to have a book of Dickens information on hand whilst I was reading Bleak House was particularly useful.
I think if you are a Dickens purist then this book might be filled with information you already know well, but if like me you are an occasional Dickens reader,you may find this book to be  a welcome addition to your Dickens book shelf.
I think the author has conveyed the essential elements of Dickens and even though all the letters of the alphabet are not covered in the book, there is enough browsing information to be useful.

3***

My thanks to NetGalley and Icon books for the opportunity to read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.