Tuesday 17 July 2012

Review ~ Impeccable Petunia by Katie Christine (Author) and Jonathan Edward (Illustrator)

Jaffa and I were given the opportunity to read and review this delightful children's story about an intrepid hen called Petunia, and a wonderful cat named Macy.



Katie Christine; 1 edition (12 May 2012)

My thanks to the author for my e-copy of this book



From Amazon

Follow Petunia, the backyard hen, through a hazardous world as she discovers hidden talents, a mischievous cat named Macy and encounters all things feathered and furious.



Our 5***** Review


Petunia is a chicken with a heart as big as the flower garden she nourishes. Low down in the pecking order, she is never going to be accepted by the chicken hierarchy, but then an unlikely saviour in the form of Macy the cat enters her garden, and soon Petunia’s life is turned completely upside-down.

This beautifully written and delightfully illustrated little book captures the imagination, and explores some quite dark themes – there is loneliness, bullying and despair, but there is also friendship and loyalty, and some genuine laugh out loud funny moments, as Macy and Petunia take on the wrath of the chicken supremo, and her cluster of conspirator chickens.

Aimed primarily at the children’s story market, Impeccable Petunia is one of those lovely books which can be appreciated by both children, and adult readers. The fundamental themes of friendship, loyalty, fraternity, and equality, are portrayed in a sympathetic and understandable way, and the stunning illustrations really bring the story to life.

I loved it, and have no hesitation in recommending this book on jaffareadstoo.

Do visit Impeccable Petunia to see the illustrations - they are simply stunning....


Jaffa's favourite illustration is Cat's in the Kitchen - I have seen that expression on Jaffa's face so many times, when he has been in the wrong place, at the wrong time !

Jo's favourite illustration is Chicken Inquisition - I love the expression on the chicken's face - reminds me of the chickens we kept when I was a child - and I was entrusted with the task of collecting the eggs in my little wicker basket. 



Since my babies are now 28 and 24 - I could so easily have missed out on this lovely story - Jaffa and I really enjoyed it . As you can imagine Jaffa is looking forward to part 2 - A Tale of Two Tails....


~****~




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.