Monday 13 June 2011

My weekly review round up...

A really successful batch of crime books kept me occupied last week. Taking me to America and Grant County courtesy of Karin Slaughter's excellent book Broken. Staying in America with Linwood Barclay's Too Close To Home, which was a fascinating look at small town America and the sheer misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My week ended with Jane Casey's second crime novel The Burning, set in and around London and the Home counties, this was an interesting look at how a murder investigation can evolve.








My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Jaffa's rating 4paws



Whenever I pick up the latest Karin Slaughter book I know that I am in for a jolly good read. Graphic and gritty from the opening page Broken just flows seamlessly from beginning to end - the story sees the return of Sara Linton to Heartsdale for a family thanksgiving celebration. Unwillingly she is drawn into a local murder investigation which will have far reaching repercussions for her old adversary, Lena Adams.Interestingly, this novel sees the introduction of Will Trent from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation onto Sara's home turf - the burgeoning relationship between Will and Sara is reaching the interesting phase.


This is a cleverly executed crime thriller, and well worth the read, I really liked it.









My rating: 4 of 5 stars
jaffa's rating 4paws



Promise Falls is a small town in up state New York, it's rather sleepy and not much happens, that is, until Derek Cutter witnesses a murder - a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - or is it? What then follows is s cleverly constructed crime thriller with enough twists and turns in the plot to keep you turning the pages. The characterisation is good, and compliments the storyline which is gritty in places but never gratuitously violent.


I enjoyed it.






My rating: 5 of 5 stars
jaffa's rating 5paws





Maeve Kerrigan is an ambitious young woman detective trying to make her mark in man's world. Her investigating skills are good but never fully recognised until she is given the opportunity to work on an enquiry into the murder of a young woman who may be the fifth victim of a serial killer known as The Burning Man. What then follows is a cleverly constructed crime thriller with enough psychological content to keep you guessing. All the separate strands of the story are cleverly brought together with a satisfying conclusion.



I enjoyed Jane Casey's debut novel The Missing but must say that her writing in The Burning is tighter and much more controlled, overall, it's a much better novel.

I look forward with interest to reading her next book.



This was my favourite read of the week and highly recommend it.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.